Welcome!

Welcome to the home page of Charles N Wyble. Charles is a 24 year old systems guy, hacker and entrepreneur currently living in El Monte CA, with his wife of 3 years.

He is currently employed as a system engineer for Ripple TV with responsibility for a nation wide advertising network.

In his spare time he serves as Chief Technology Officer for the SoCalWiFI.net project, runs a hacker space in the San Gabriel Valley and tries to save the local economy.


Monday, July 27, 2009

Moving to the cloud

Recently I have been thinking about moving 100% to the cloud.

I have the best DSL connection one can purchase from AT&T (business class 6mbps down/768k up), a very nice server hosting virtual machines (8 gigs ram, 4 core CPU).

How am I currently taking advantage of that?

I have a few sets of virtual machines:

1) A Ubuntu virtual machine that hosts things like trac and orangehrm and serves as a file server.

2) 4 Ubuntu virtual machines (dev,dev integration,qa, production) for freeswitch development. One of my VOIP engineers is developing on that set.

3) A Centos VM hosting openvz instances for freeswitch development. Another one of my VOIP engineers uses those.

4) 3 Ubuntu virtual machines (dev integration,qa, production) for socalwifi front end development. I have my primary software engineer using those.

So now I want to move my daily tasks into a virtual machine that I can access from any device. I have plenty of resources available via that server and want to take advantage of them as much as possible.

I like my MacBook pro, but it doesn't have the computing power to handle running Netbeans/Eclipse/gis tools/vista vm/ubuntu vm at the same time. I plan to move my dev/gis/linux stuff into the VM as I can give it the necessary resources to run everything comfortably. I'm looking into using NX for the access methodology.

I also plan to spin up a Vista VM and RDP to it.

Then I can be completely device independent. I hope to be able to use my ipod touch a lot more, as it has an RDP and VNC client. Need to see if I can find an NX client for it.

2 comments:

dotwaffle said...

It's such a shame peering never took off in the US like it did in the EU. I suppose it's because of the great distances involved.

At home, I have the following package for £37/mo ($50?):

Cable TV (basic package)
V+ box (essentially HD Tivo)
Phone line with unlimited national calls evenings and weekends.
20Mbit down/1Mbit up internet.

And you know what, I could have gone for the 50Mbit/2Mbit, but I chose not.

I'm not gloating, I'm just saying that in the home of the cheap megabit, the consumer isn't king - which is such a shame :(

Anonymous said...

Oh I hear you man.

Yeah I know you aren't gloating. It's not your style. :)

It really is a shame.

The population density of the United States make for quite bizarre network planning.